Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Introducing G.P.A


G.P.A.(Greatest Poet Alive),the Phenomenal Poetic Unsub, hails from Chicago Il. He has written four books of Poetry(THe Confessional Heart of a Man, The Book of 24 Orgasms, The Mind of a Poetic Unsub, and the recently released Revenge of the Orgasm. G.P.A. has won the Poetry Pentathlon, Black Essence Award, and Moth Storytelling Championship. He is also the host of Poetry's Love Letter, an open mic on every second Friday at Let Them Eat Chocolate.

Can you please tell us a little about yourself.
I am the controversial, critically acclaimed, and most electrifying man in Poetry. The city I hail from is Chicago Illinois. At this point in my writing career, I have written and published four books of Poetry(The Confessional Heart of a Man, The Book of 24 Orgasms, The Mind of a Poetic Unsub, and most recently, Revenge of the Orgasm. I have won the Moth Storytelling Slam and was runner up in the Grand Slams.
 
What inspired you to write your first book?
I was incarcerated when I wrote my first book, so I wrote it from the baggage I carried around for decades and the things I saw and heard around me.
 
 
What do you wish more people knew about the publishing side of things?
I would want people to know that anyone can call themselves a publisher and charge you fees, but there is more to it than that. There should be a rapport that combines business and personal. Remember, you are giving your work and trusting this person or persons to bring it to reality.
 
 
How do up with your titles?
My titles are made to encompass the poems in this respective books but also to grab the attention of readers. 
 
 
What author(s) has influenced your writing style?
Langston Hughes and Poets from the Romantic Era have influenced my style of writing. But 50 Cent, Kobe Bryant, Miles Livingston, John Cena, and the Rock  influence my work ethic and attention to my craft.
 
 

For your first book, how long did it take you to find an agent?
I don't have an agent. When I tried, the practices seemed not trustworthy.
 
 
How important was a "platform" in selling your books?
I needed a platform to sell my books because Poetry is looked upon as archaic, so using romance and storytelling has helped me get it across.
 
 
Do you have book signings coming up where readers can meet you?
Over the next few months, I will be in several places across the country. The best way to keep up with me is either on Facebook at G.P.A.(Greatest Poet Alive) or www.iblowyourmind.net
 
 
Can you tell us about your upcoming project(s)? Just released Revenge of the Orgasm and now working towards my second cd, The G.P.A. Experience. 
 
 
What advice do you have to an aspiring author?
Write,write,write,edit, get a professional editor, and then edit again. Have your own style and stick with it, making adjustments along the way





No comments:

Post a Comment